Getting a job maybe easy but staying in one for a substantial amount of time can be difficult. Here are best career makeover tips for those who’re currently feeling stranded in their respective job roles.
It usually happens that when we hear that someone has taken a leap, which you were always scared of or seized the opportunity that you ever dreamt of, isn’t it? Sometimes you also hear that a colleague who has once left a secured job and is now a successful businessman. That’s when you start questioning about your career and potential. You keep thinking about changing your job or following your passion but daunted by the prospect of it. Well, you are not the only one.
87% of working professionals worldwide report feeling disengaged in their current positions.
Good news is we can help you change; we can help you not to let fears stop you.
Before we start with our 10 career makeover tips, you should know, it won’t be easy, but it will be worth it. All you need for the change is determination, vision, confidence, commitment, ammunition, perseverance and courage. So, are you ready?
Step 1: Evaluate yourself
Even before you go for it, any career makeover tips would suggest you have a clarity of it. Take some time to do some self-reflection. Take a long, hard look at your current situation.
- What makes you happy?
- What frustrates you?
- What do others value about you?
- What are you passionate about?
- How do you define success?
- What other talents do you have?
Step 2: Scenario plan
There are many options available, even if some feels impossible right now. Start thinking about what you would like your after picture to look like.
Do you want to –
- Start your own business
- Get promoted
- Try something new
- Change career paths
- Realise a dream
Choose the path that appeals to you the most and play out the best and worst-case scenario of following that path right now. What is standing in your way? What are the obstacles?
Step 3: Plot your stepping-stones
- Often there are short-term actions that you take, to help you move towards your after picture.
- Does your current position offer you opportunities or experience that supports your big vision?
- Are there courses you can take or groups you can join that can help you achieve your goals?
- Who should you be networking with to help you in your journey?
Sometimes these actions might not feel germane to your plan, but they are required.
Step 4: Discuss with a coach or mentor
Many people have faced the same challenge you are currently facing.
- Set up a career growth chat with your manager or boss. A real leader will be invested and committed in helping you grow.
- Identify a potential mentor and drop them a message to meet you for a career chat over lunch.
- Employ the services of a professional career coach to learn coaching techniques for yourself.
Navigating career change requires a psychological change and it’s important to tap into the experience of others when you do. As the adage says – ‘Life is too short to learn from your own mistakes.’
Step 5: Embrace your fears
Career makeover tips help you identify your fears. Fear is often the only thing that is stopping you from becoming the person you are meant to be. You always have to be on your guard when it comes to the excuses. Are they fear-driven?
- I don’t have the time
- I am worried about money
- What will people think?
- I am too old, or it is too late for that
- I am not good enough
What would you do if you were not afraid?
Step 6: Get a new hobby
There is a reason why people invest time and money in pursuing hobbies outside of their careers. A hobby is a perfect way to tap into a passion, and passion often equates to happiness fulfilment and satisfaction. If you don’t know where to start, consider your interests.
- Enrol for a cooking or art class
- Join a running or exercise club
- Write a novel or start a blog
- Learn to take photographs
- Start a book or dinner club
Sometimes, your hobby can even open doors for a new career path that you never considered. A career backed by passion is a winning combination.
Step 7: Get inspired
If your workplace makes you feel putrefied, you need to up your sources to external inspiration. Surround yourself with messages and people who encourage you.
- Identify and emulate a role model; study what they have achieved and how
- Write a personal manifesto, and read it at least once a week
- Create a personal vision wall of inspiring quotes and pictures
- Attend inspirational talks or workshops or get lost on TED talks
Step 8: Invest in your skill set
If you’re following career makeover tips, you will learn a few new skills or update your old ones.
- Investigate the most sought-after talents in your desired industry
- Seek out practical and reputable courses to help you gain new skills
- Identify gaps in your current skill set
Furthering your studies does not always to mean that you need to return to University. Online short courses and certification courses are the perfect options if your seeking career advancement is on-the-go.
Step 9: Commit
Suppress your excuses and get to the action. Until you take the first step, nothing will change. You will make decisions because it feels right at the time but often life wears in unexpected directions, and you might question a few choices you have made. That’s ok!
- Your greatest advantage will be your ability to anticipate and embrace change while you navigate your makeover
- To ensure your commitment never falters, develop an agile approach to your career makeover
Step 10: Post a letter to your future self
You are prepped for success and about to embark on a new direction in your career.
- Write a letter or an email to your future self that details your dream, fears, goals, plans and ambitions.
- Set a reminder for the future date to read; it will serve as the perfect reminder of the progress you have made in giving your career its much-needed makeover.
Follow above career makeover tips to find a new dimension in your existing job domain. Good luck!