It’s no secret the world is getting digitised at an alarming rate. Big corporations like MNCs, medical practices, hotels, banks and even government offices are now online, storing important information and sensitive data in the cloud. This leaves them vulnerable and exposed to the dangers of cyber crime. By 2022, it has been projected that loss due to cyber theft could rise up to $6 billion. If you think that’s shocking, read the next sentence. According to the Global Information Security Workforce Study, also in 2022, there will be a shortage of 1.8 million cybersecurity professionals. This means, there aren’t enough people to protect the cyber landscape from the expected threats.
If this sounds ideal for you, all you need is a diploma in cyber security or you could take any of the online courses for cybersecurity.
The rapidly advancing cyber landscape, the surge of digital usage and the growth in artificial intelligence applications has made all companies in desperate need of security professionals. Cyber security has become one of the most in-demand careers, and given the scope and prospect, it could be a promising career choice for you.
Why is cyber-security a good career option?
Cybersecurity professionals have the best balance of work, pay and fun in their career. Protecting companies from cyberthreats and using critical analysis skills to predict threats makes up for a thrilling yet intelligent work day. You won’t have to worry about having a ‘boring’ day at work. Apart from the interesting work profile, cybersecurity executives have a huge responsibility to shoulder, as companies rely on them to keep their data safe, which is why the professionals get paid lucratively.
It’s not just about the money, this profession offers immense job satisfaction as well. According to the 2020 Cybersecurity Professional’s Salaries, Skills and Stress survey, ‘96% of the respondents admitted that they are very happy in their job role and 87% are satisfied with their earnings.’
Cybersecurity professionals constantly get to work on new projects and are expose to different challenges. This helps them to advance in their careers and use their experience to solve crucial issues. They also receive more advanced cyber security certifications to deal with high level security threats.
Job roles in cybersecurity
#1 Information Security Analyst
- You will be responsible for protecting all the sensitive data and digital assets within a company from cyber attacks
- Ensure the organisation’s security systems and network set-ups are cutting edge and regularly updated
- You will carry out penetration tests to ensure the systems are secure from any potential threat
- Your job will include developing and implementing firewalls and data encryptions to ensure total privacy
#2 Network Security Engineer
- You will be required to protect the company from hackers, bugs and other cyber threats
- This is a versatile job profile as you will plan, run, optimise, design, audit and troubleshoot the network security system
- You have to ensure that the system is free from any current or future threats
- In case the worst happens and disaster strikes, you should be able to fix any issues or threats as soon as possible
- To be a network security engineer, you need to be an expert in the field of IT, network, engineering and information security
#3 Chief information security officer
- This is a senior position where you will lead a team of professionals to reduce all IT-related risk within the organisation
- The job includes identifying, developing, implementing and maintaining processes across the company
- You will help design strategies to establish appropriate standards and controls
- You will also be instrumental in managing security technologies and developing protocols
- If there are any prospective or occurring security threats, you need to be ready and waiting.
#4 Security architect
- You will design the network and computer security architecture, making it harder for cyber threats to penetrate the network and online systems
- First, you will be expected to build a security model, and then coordinate with the programming team to create a superior level security architecture
#5 Cybersecurity manager
- You’re in charge of maintenance of security protocols through the organisation
- You will manage a team of IT professionals, delegating the tasks among the teams to ensure the high standards of network and data security.
- Cybersecurity managers have to frequently review the existing security policies and ensure that the policies are updated, keeping in mind the past security experiences that the organisation has faced
- You will also be responsible of performing regular check on all devices, network routers, switches, connected devices and ensure there are no loopholes in the security setup.
These are the major designations for cybersecurity aspirants across the globe. There are a few other roles that are formed by fusing two or more of the above, depending upon the security requirements of the organisation.
Cybersecurity professionals are highly sought after by companies all over the world. Take any of the online courses in cybersecurity, and you’ll Let’s take a closer look at the advantages of having a career in this field.
4 major benefits of being a cyber-security executive
Dynamic job functions
The work in cybersecurity can be very exciting. Whether you’re building security systems for small organisations or you’re fulfilling the network security requirements of fortune 500 companies. Cybersecurity professionals use the latest technologies for problem assessment and solving. They work closely with big data, artificial intelligence and modern technologies to ensure the latest developments in the security of systems. It’s quite a challenging arena to dabble in.
As the world has gone digital, especially after Covid-19, there is always a search for professionals who could guarantee network and system security to the companies.
Constantly evolving field
The coolest part about a career in cybersecurity is learning about the most recent, state-of-the-line technologies, trends and new breakthroughs. There is always an opportunity to improve your skills on the job. Cybersecurity professionals have to deal with a variety of threats which demand quick creative thinking while brainstorming for solutions. It’s a case of constant one-upmanship. Every new cyber threat requires a solid, efficient and unique defence, and that is a daily challenge you’ll have to face.
Excellent pay scale
In India, the higher roles in cybersecurity can attract packages as high as 2 to 4 crores depending upon the skill set, level of expertise and experience. As mentioned earlier, there is a shortage of cybersecurity professionals, which has resulted in a 57 per cent rise in salaries. Even the starting salaries in cybersecurity range from 5 to 8 lakhs per year. As it is a highly skill-based domain, experience and skills would determine the job growth for the professionals.
Job security and sustainability
A cybersecurity executive never has to worry about running out of opportunities. With the way the technological landscape is expanding, companies will always be in need of security professionals to keep their network setups fully secured.
In fact, cybersecurity jobs have been declared as the most sustainable jobs of the decade by the US News and World Report.
There is a lot of scope when pursuing a career in IT security. Once you have completed your cybersecurity certifications, High-paying salaries, career security and a very exciting work profile are just a few of the many benefits you can expect on the job. You are also likely to find a position in any of the major companies across the globe, as the demand for this line of work is quite high. So if you have been thinking of making a career in cybersecurity, now is the right time to enter this domain and make a name for yourself.