Every company requires Company Secretary who can help in statutory and legal filing requirements. Contrary to the name, it is not a mere secretarial position, there are various responsibilities which a CS has to follow. He is the legal expert of the company and has to fulfill the responsibility to be a compliance officer of the company. In short he is the personnel adopted by the Board of Directors who has to handle the legal and the statutory requirements.
Roles and Responsibilities of a Company Secretary
- Maintain a list of directors’ names.
- File documents with Registrar of Companies
- Ensure documentary requirements as per Companies Act.
- Organize, prepare agendas, hold general meetings and record minutes.
- Manage shareholder meetings
- Statutory Books and Registrars
- Be a linking factor for directors, shareholders and regulatory authorities.
- Filing corporate returns
- Ensure proper compliance and execution of contracts and agreements.
- Specialized services as required by the directors.
About the Institute
In India, CS is conferred by the Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) who holds the charter to grant the CS to do the. The Institute works under the Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Government of India. For more information on the course, please refer: http://www.icsi.edu/student/careerascompanysecretary.aspx. It lays down the curriculum and the exam passing requirements for students to be eligible as a company secretary.
As a CS, you can either set up your practice to assist various companies in their legal requirements or seek employment with a company.